Monday, November 1, 2010

Candy

So after three days of candy, two children vomiting, and one child who continually came to me to open candy that I couldn't eat but smelled delicious I decided to do something I've never done before.  I offered to buy my children's candy.

Oliver has really wanted the Lego Harry Potter computer game but we told him we weren't buying it.  I don't have a problem with the game or Oliver occasionally playing video games.  We just weren't putting out the money for another game.  So he's been saving every penny he comes across.  He earns a quarter a week for bringing in the garbage can (an extra chore). So slowly but surely he's been gathering money.  He has almost ten dollars which isn't enough yet but I'm proud he's really stuck to it.  Its been months now.

So back to the Halloween candy.  When I mentioned that I'd purchase any candy that was left at a per piece rate Oliver jumped on it.  He was very careful to keep the ones he still wanted but made a few bucks on the rest which he promptly put in his savings jar.  Evelyn found a few candies to earn some change.  Spencer, who received the same amount of candy as everyone else, only had two pieces left and wasn't about to give them up. He did find and an open, unfinished candy to trade for a few pennies.

So I decided to extend it further.  For every candy Oliver receives from school for good behavior or good work and brings home uneaten, I'll purchase for two quarters a piece.  His eyes bugged out.  That's double the income of his only paying job or chore and way more than he got per piece of  Halloween candy.  We both get something we want.  I get a child eating less sugar by choice who's following instruction and improving in school and he's going to get that game soon.  I think he'll be proud of the work he's done to get it too.  I know I am.

2 comments: