Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Oh darn, the bathroom needs cleaning again.

So I'm making changes in more things than I expected with this corn allergy.  There are a number of products I didn't think were made with corn, for instance distilled vinegar.  I always thought it was made from wheat.  I guess since the government subsidizes corn its in more products than ever before. Since corn and wheat are both grains it's logical that there will be overlaps in their potential uses.


I usually cleaned most surfaces of the house with a mixture of vinegar and water.  So that's out now.  Instead I spray with water and wipe.  I've learned that most cleaning products including vinegar really aren't very effective unless they are left on the surface to be cleaned for several minutes before wiping.  I usually spray and wipe so they weren't doing much more good than water anyway.  If I want to be sure the surface is not only free of visual dirt but those little germs we can't see,  I spray the surface with diluted essential oils that have disinfecting properties and let it dry.  I really like it too! It seems just as clean as before with the bonus of being healthy, natural, and great smelling. 

For more essential oil combinations with cleaning properties click here.  I just notice both links are by the same author but different sites.  Maybe I should go look into her natural home cleaning books!

Even though change can sometimes be frustrating, a lot of good frequently comes from moving out of our comfort zones.  I find I like this cleaning method better than what I was doing before and it seems to be even less expensive than using vinegar and water. Definitely smells better too.

I'm still working out what to do about liquid dish soap.  For now I'm using mostly bar soap but there are a few things that just clean up better with the liquid.  Suggestions anyone?  Maybe I'll just have to use gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment