Friday, January 2, 2009

Frozen Worms

When Spencer falls asleep sometimes the older two kids and I do something fun that he isn't old enough to do. Yesterday we put together some sand art. It was a project that Uncle Rico (Scott) and Aunt Diane gave the two for Christmas. I don't think Scott and Diane had any idea how great a gift it was. Oliver couldn't stop saying things like this is awesome or totally cool.

The project was really easy. The paper was already color coded and just required lifting one section at a time to reveal a sticky background. We poured on the sand and it sticks! I think I'll have to find out where Scott and Diane found these. Though I think we'll wait until summer so we can do it outside. We have a fine layer of sand left on the floor, worth the fun though!

I asked Evelyn to let Rosco (our dog) come into the house. When she lingered at the door. I asked her to please close it. It is cold enough that we have snow on the ground. I was surprised by her response. She told me there were no worms! Nope, no worms, its just too cold. In the spring we have the biggest worms I've ever seen. We seem to stir them up as we dig in the garden. I'd love to know what brought that back to her memory. All the rest of the day I had images of long frozen worms.

We've been making extra efforts to eat better than we typically do. I had the wonderful idea of making split pea soup about a month ago. I have eaten wonderful split pea soup but this was greatly disappointing and I think the only person to eat a significant amount was Chris, mostly out of kindness. I'll admit the only reason I finished my bowl was because I wanted the kids to know even mommy eats things she doesn't like. Now its the infamous green soup. Oliver reminds me about it frequently. Today he told me green soup is awful but he likes blue soup. I'm not sure what that is buy why not! Anybody have a recipe for blue soup?

2 comments:

  1. In Girl Scouts we made Green Eggs and Ham with . . .(drum roll) green food coloring. I'll bet you could do a cream-of-something soup (chicken? elephant?) and use blue food coloring. Personally I think that would make split pea look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm....maybe blue tortilla chips in tortilla soup? I hate it when recipes don't turn out right and then I'm stuck doing the same thing --eating it though inside I'm gagging. ;)

    ReplyDelete