Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Yippee for me!

I'm quite pleased at what I've discovered in using my handy little pedometer. My doctor (and others) recommended at least 10,000 steps per day. I've had no problem reaching that goal. In fact I think I'm going to have to up it. With out trying I've reached between 12,000-13,000 steps a day! I had no idea I was that active. I had two days under 10,000 and those were on the weekend after being up through the night with children throwing up. I intentionally plopped myself on the sofa after each of those long nights! The oddest thing is I'm covering about 5-6 miles worth of steps per day mostly within the walls of my home! I guarantee you its not that large!

Actually I don't think this activity level has been normal for me in the past. Its not due to the pedometer but a new medication. My doctor said most people just feel better once they start insulin medication. Well that was three months ago. I wasn't sure what he was talking about because I didn't feel bad when I originally went into his office. I started a new prescription about ten days ago for my insulin levels. Medication trial number three finally works for me. I have been amazed at how well I feel, even with a cold!

This last week has made me wonder how wonderful it really is to have a body and what it will be like to have a perfected body in the next life. I had no idea this is how a "normal" person feels! I wonder what it will be like to have all of these earthly ailments gone and just enjoy a perfect body (if that's the way it will work).

Today I let the kids watch The Princess Bride. I'm rather careful about what they watch because they seem rather sensitive, scary stuff and oh man the stuff they'll repeat. I've held off for a long while with this movie because there were some parts I thought might frighten Oliver. (He's been sensitive to violence on television from as young as 6 months old!) I was surprised at how well the kids enjoyed it. He showed a little concern at the rodents of unusual size, but that seemed appropriate though. I look forward to watching this more often. Its is one of my favorites, Chris's too. In fact, one Christmas we both unknowingly purchased it for each other! Now it'll be a family favorite.

I was getting ready to send Oliver and Evelyn to preschool next door and at the same time was planning out the errands Spencer and I would run while they were gone. I was a bit worried the kids would be disappointed because I was going to the library without them. Their books were due today and we've had the same small stack for three weeks. I cringed when Oliver asked if that's what I was doing as I gathered up books but was surprised when he hugged and thanked me for getting him new books. He can be so sweet sometimes.

Chris went back to school yesterday. That was kind of a quick decision for us. He decided to take some classes at the community college. He was lucky to get into classes the day before the semester started! He's taking art classes to help build a portfolio and to get a little more direction in the field of graphic design/illustration. I was struck by a little bit of jealousy at his being in art class. I didn't expect that and admit I was a bit bitter the first day. Art's always been my thing. I know he's good too, in fact better than me! I think it was just the thought of me being home with the kids while being in a studio painting or drawing seems like it would be heaven sometimes. My memories of being in the studio are before marriage and children. They aren't laced with the demands of providing for a family like Chris's pursuits. I've put that jealousy aside and feel much better today. I actually look forward to seeing what he'll be doing. Maybe we'll do some of it together.

2 comments:

  1. That's great news about your walking! You're right; set a higher goal if you can! I'm glad you are feeling better (without even knowing you were feeling 'bad' in the first place!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found the pedometer to be a friend and a *nag*! But nagging is obviously what it takes for me. You learn faster than I did! After about 8 months of using it, resetting it at night is just part of the routine -- just after flossing!

    ReplyDelete