Monday, January 5, 2009

Some good buys

Saturday Chris and I made a trip to Target. We took the whole family just so everyone had a chance to get out of the house. Chris chuckled and said we needed to go on a real date soon, meaning without children and not just to pick up something from the store, but still it was fun to go out.

We had gone out in search of a salad spinner. Its something Chris and I have been thinking of picking up a for a while now. I was willing to spend around $15 for one. Since we are trying to eat healthier I thought it would be a fun addition to our kitchen. When we got to Target we were surprised to see that the ones on display were about $25-$30. It seemed like more than I wanted to spend just to remove a little bit of water from my produce. I have never used one though so maybe those expensive little things do some bizarre magic I'd be pleased with. We kept walking around a bit and discovered a very basic, generic brand salad spinner tucked away on a shelf. It seemed like it would do the job and we were shocked to find the price was only $2.99! So we left happier than expected.

Last night was rather cold since our space heater died out on us. This has been the winter of the dying space heaters. We had a bunch of wonderful little space heaters that warm rooms really well but don't run up the energy bill. This year must have been the end of their life span because they have all died one by one. Without the heater last night the basement was so cold I couldn't get bundled up enough to get warm. I was glad the kids fell asleep before the temperature dropped too much. Spencer woke up in the middle of the night so we spent the rest of the night bundled up together on the couch. Eventually we snuggled together enough to get warm and fell asleep.

Today was Evelyn's first day of preschool. She was quite excited and seemed to have fun. We've been doing a co-op preschool with moms in the ward for preschool. Oliver was a little miffed that Evelyn was going with him today. I guess it had been his big kid thing to do.+ By the time he got home he didn't seem to mind anymore so I guess everything went alright.

The first errand of the day was to buy a new space heater. I was excited to see Walmart had some plugged in so I tested them before purchasing. We found one and are much more comfortable living down in the basement again. (As you can see I think everyone was a little extra sleepy today due to the cold or maybe preschool. Its not normal for the older two to nap.)

Since I only had one child with me, which was quite strange and fun, I decided to do laps around the Super Walmart. That can be a dangerous thing. I kept putting things in my cart but decided to keep doing laps and returned items to their places.

One item that didn't get returned to shelf was a pedometer. I'm excited to find out how much I'm walking. The first hour it was on I thought it must not be working correctly because there was no way I'd walked that many steps. So I counted as I went along and it was right! I'm curious to see how much a mother truly is on her feet. I'm not great with regular exercise routines because everyday seems to be different with children. I'm excited to use this little tool to keep track of what I am doing rather than always getting down on myself for what I'm not. I figure I can build from there.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE my pedometer!! It has been my weight loss buddy this last year. It becomes the little extra reminder to park at the end of the parking lot, take an extra lap around the store, or even just take the trash out the front door instead of the back. I actually did quite a bit of reading about incorporating walking into your natural life instead of having to go somewhere to "exercise." Among other things I learned that if you hit 10,000 steps a day, you can consider yourself to have "exercised." Any homemaker worth her salt should have little trouble with that! Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a salad spinner, too. Lucky. I'll have to search the back shelves for such a good deal.

    ReplyDelete