Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ice week

This was my week to teach preschool. We meet three days a week and each mom takes two weeks of teaching at a time. We don't have any particular curriculum each mom just comes up with what they want to teach.

I found some really fun activities with ice so we had a week of ice and the letter i. We did things like seeing what would happen if a blue ice cube and yellow ice cuber were put into clear soda, which would melt faster - ice on a plate or ice wrapped in a towel. There were more experiments and today the whole weeks lessons culminated in making homemade ice cream. We did the roll the cans on the floor method and it was a great success.

Oliver thought it was so great he asked if we could do it again this evening. Sure! I only bought enough cream for the preschool batch and Spencer can't have milk anyway so we tried out rice milk. I'll tell you it will never be my top choice for ice cream but it was passed as a cool sweet treat. The kids gobbled it right up.
Mixing
Adding Salt and Ice

Let it roll!

Mmmm...

I can see a fun date night, after the kids (Spencer in particular), are asleep. I'm thinking thick rich cream, maybe chocolate too. Oh lovely ice cream and chocolate my long lost friends...

2 comments:

  1. What fun! Those are some really creative experiments; I'm sure they had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great mom. I love that idea I will have to get the tips from you. You are so creative.

    If you get any ideas on teaching a 4 year old how to hold a pencial that would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete