Monday, January 17, 2011

S is for Spencer

I'm starting something new with my two younger children.  We're going through an at home preschool like program called "Learn Your Letters, Learn to Serve" by Laura Coppinger.  Its not full preschool just letters.  I'm excited about this because it has games, activities, recipes, scriptures, and opportunities to serve others.  Yes, I could come up with all this on my own but I know myself.  I'd spend more time searching for the perfect activities on the internet and run out of time to actually do them.  Besides I really don't care if my three and four year old know their letters yet, the point of my doing this is to spend time together.  Its so easy for me to live my life beside my children rather than with them. 

Today was our first day.  I decided we'd focus on the letter S for Spencer.  Oliver didn't have school due to the holiday and joined in the fun.  Really the activities are easy to accomodate for all ages.  Oliver already knew the letter but he had the opportunity to look up scriptures and read.  I picked a scripture from the Book of Mormon rather than the one prepared because I figured Service went pretty well with the letter S!  So we read Mosiah 2:17.

 "  ..."When Ye Are in the Service of Your Fellow Beings Ye Are Only in the Service of Your God".

I posted it on the wall and randomly throughout the day Oliver would come read it out loud.  I didn't expect this response.  It felt nice to hear scripture and to know he was excited about it.

All three had a blast with the activity - sock puppets!



(Try as I might, I can't get these to center on the actually post.  It works on the preview.   Hmm...)

No comments:

Post a Comment