Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My first batch of Handmade Soap!

I attempted my first batch of soap. I was quite pleased with how the whole process went. Everything seemed to go as described in all I'd read. My soap came to trace faster than I expected but was still manageable long enough to get it into the mold.

Its a recipe for cucumber aloe soap. Everything seemed a little too good to be true for my first attempt. Sure enough it was! The soap set up wonderfully but oh the stink! Think of stinky feet, plant smell, and mildew rolled into one. Strange and definitely not something you'd want to rub on yourself! The awful scent was coming from the cucumber peel I'd used to color the soap. I guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet! Duh! It was actually a recommendation from another soaper! I now know from a reputable source that the same thing happened to her soap when she used cucumber peel.
I tried to rebatch the soap in hopes of savaging it. I used a warm spicy scented fragrance oil. The combination of scents now smells like zucchini bread! Unexpected but yum! I have a suspicious feeling it is not going to set. Maybe I bit off a little too much for my first try. That wouldn't be a first! :)

I'll make another batch of soap this week and see what happens this time, maybe a bit more basic recipe.

5 comments:

  1. Well, since smell anything from a blog posting, I will have to say that the color is truly lovely -- that would be the artist in you coming through once again. You and Molly both are game to give just about anything a try -- something I admire in both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't proofread before I posted -- how embarrassing! Post should say, "Since I can't smell anything . . ." Fingers working faster than brain, but that's not hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color. I wonder if your saved test bar will turn brown as mine did? Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing. Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katrina, you suck. How do you do it? I don't even get to scrubbing the kitchen floor let alone making soap. We need to catch up on things.

    ReplyDelete